2023 AGSL AA Rules:
We will follow the 2023 “Official Softball Rule Book” and the House League Rules with the following exceptions:
We will follow the ASA "Official Softball Rule Book" and the House Generic Rules with the following exceptions:
1. No inning in any game can start after 1 hour and 30 minutes after the scheduled start time.
2. A game consists of four (4) full innings, except when called due to bad weather, darkness, or lateness. Then, three (3) complete innings shall constitute an official game. Additional innings may be played if time allows and both coaches agree.
3. Each half inning ends when either there are three outs or five runs, whichever occurs first. No team may score more than five (5) runs in any one inning, even if the scoring play produces additional runs. A scorebook must be used to keep record of the games.
Uniform and Equipment:
The teams will use safety type 11 inch balls provided by the league to make it easier for the girls to field, throw and catch. The home team supplies both game balls for the game.
The AA (Instructional) Level, coaches will serve as umpires to determine safe or out on the bases and balls and strikes from behind the pitcher.
1. The pitching rubber is 35 feet from the back point of home plate. Note: Most fields have the pitching rubber at 40 feet. Equipment is available in the garage if the rubber is wrong. Ask the Director on Duty for assistance.
2. From the start of the season until halfway through the season (after game 5 or game 4 if fall ball), the coach will pitch five (5) pitches. The tee will be placed after five pitches.
3. After game 5 (game 4 if fall ball) through the end of the season, the pitcher will throw three (3) pitches. If the ball is not hit, then the coach will pitch four (4) pitches. If still not hit, a tee will be placed. The coach is encouraged to call balls and strikes for all pitches. This will assist pitchers and batters to learn the strike zon
4. When a pitched ball hits a batter, the batter should be encouraged to continue to bat as long as there is no injury.
5. There are no strikeouts
6. Bunting is NOT allowed
- A maximum of 10 fielders can be on the playing field at one time. 3 outfielders: they must be on the grass evenly spread (unless the outfield is not playable or otherwise unsafe). In the event that a team has 11 players, the remaining player can be placed in the outfield.
- 7 infielders: First base, short second/pitcher, second base, shortstop, short shortstop, third base, and a catcher (a parent can be used behind the catcher to help move the game along, but they may not be involved in any play of the game).
3. Each team may have 2 coaches on the field behind the infielders. They may not be involved in the play. They are merely there to instruct.
4. Every player, present at the game, must play a minimum of three (3) innings unless the game is called before the completion of four (4) innings due to time limitations. Coaches should rotate which players sit out an inning from game to game, so that it is not the same players always sitting out. All players are required to play at least 2 innings of infield. The batting order includes every player (present at the game). All players bat in order, regardless of being in the field in any given inning. Players arriving late should be inserted at the bottom of the order (to avoid being skipped in the batting order). Please make every effort to give players the opportunity to try different positions in the field.
5. The infield fly rule is NOT in effect
6. Base stealing and sliding are not allowed.
7. Base runners may NOT advance on an overthrow.
8. After a ball has been hit in fair territory, base runners are allowed to attempt one (1) base at a time. If a batted ball reaches the outfield in the air two (2) bases may be taken.